Amber Lloyd and Sandy O'Brien
Adaped by Linda Scott
|California Language Arts Content Standards|
|Standards Addressed in this Unit|
Background ReadingBefore students can start on Task One some teaching and learning about research will be necessary. See Teaching Information Literacy: the Big Six Skills. See also You're the Expert and Thinking Critically about Research Sources. Teachers might also refer to:
- Exploring Language: Static Images
- Scoring Powerpoints: The Integration of Technology Across the Middle School Curriculum
TEACHING AND LEARNING ACTIVITIES
Select and adapt these learning activities to best meet the needs of your students, and to fit the time available:
- Place students in groups of five and have them complete
Task One: Fact Finding.
- Using the material gathered in Task One, students complete
Task Two: Travel Activites to publication standard.
- Students use their material to create Task Three: PowerPoint Presentation, each student producing one slide. An alternative is to have each student to produce a complete presentation.
|Collaborative online projects related to this unit:|
ASSESSMENTTo Assess Task Three, use the Assessment Rubric.
- Using PowerPoint XP: a Tutorial for Teachers
- The Travel Page
- The Lonely Planet Site
- CIA World Factbook
- PowerPoint in the Classroom
- Creating a PowerPoint Presentation
- Create a Travel Brochure: A Webquest
- Postcards from America
- PBS's Wayback Summer Vacation
- Family Travel Tips