The All-Purpose Multimedia Poetry Beast
Adapted by Linda Scott
5 weeks or so
|California Language Arts Content Standards|
|Standards Addressed in this Unit|
In this activity students explore writing and performing poetry in various forms. This process will, however, readily adapt to the teaching of any literary form.
TEACHING AND LEARNING ACTIVITIESSelect and adapt these learning activities to best meet the needs of your students, and to fit the time available:
- Get wired -- run your whole unit via a private discussion group at Yahoo Groups.
- task guides can be delivered directly to students online, including links to relevant resources.
- students can share resources and findings of research.
- students can share writing and feed back to each other.
- students collaborate in web design process -- critiquing models, sharing ideas.
PHASE ONE - Reading Models
PHASE TWO - Poetic Writing
PHASE THREE - Speaking
PHASE FOUR - Web Page Design
Select a maximum of TWO for formal assessment
- Maintain a research log
- Analysis of style and content
- From poetic writing tasks
- Based on poet model
- Poet model
- Own writing
- Research findings on poet model -- with links to resources/bibliography
- Response to poet
- Own work based on poet's style
- Streaming or downloadable sound files of readings